Why Insulation is Important in Crawl Spaces
How Does Crawl Space Insulation Work?
Insulation will seal the crawl space to prevent air from escaping and prevent pests from sneaking into it. Crawl space insulation comes in two main types: foam or fiberglass.
- Foam: Foam insulation acts as a vapor barrier. It’s very quick to install and is often used to fill in small cracks. Foam insulation is a bit pricey and can be a little uneven because it needs to be sprayed on.
- Fiberglass: Fiberglass insulation is constructed out of tiny glass strings. This is one of the most traditional types used and is very inexpensive. However, unlike foam, it can absorb moisture. This could lead to mold.
Why Insulation Needs to be Installed in Crawl Spaces
Insulation needs to be installed in your crawl space for a variety of reasons.
- It Prevents Allergens: Your crawl space can easily absorb allergens if it’s not insulated correctly. This could end up sending particles like dust and pollen into your home’s air which could lead to respiratory problems. Insulation traps any allergens in your crawl space and prevents them from traveling through your home.
- It Stops Pests: As mentioned above, insulation keeps pests away because it fills in gaps where they could crawl through.
- It Saves Money: Insulation can help save money because it reduces energy usage. By trapping hot or cold air, it will reduce the amount of work your home’s air conditioner and heater needs to do.
- It Regulates Air Temperatures: If you notice that your home has fluctuating air temperatures, it could be due to an uninsulated crawl space. By adding crawl space insulation, it will prevent this because it won’t allow drafts.
Using insulation in your crawl space is important if you want to keep pests and allergens away. If you’re interested in having some installed in your Santa Rosa crawl space, CCS can help. We offer a crawl space insulation service that ensures your home is protected.